Indian Rice Pudding
- 100g jasmine rice
- 30g unsalted butter
- ½ tsp. lightly crushed saffron
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- 2½ pints whole milk
- 100g light brown sugar
- 40g slivered almonds, toasted
- 40g thinly sliced pistachios
- Place rice in a fine strainer, and rinse under running water until water runs clear; drain thoroughly.
- Heat butter in a frying pan over medium heat; add rice, saffron, and cardamom, and cook, stirring until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Add whole milk, and cook, stirring occasionally, until milk is reduced by half and rice is tender, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Add sugar, almonds, and half the pistachios, and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, and garnish with remaining pistachios before serving.